My Adventure Through Our Family Tree Branches

For over 50 years my Dad researched both his and my Mom's family tree branches - and loved every minute of it! Trying to fulfill the promise I made him the last month of his life, I have spent the past four years continuing where he left off - finding out about all the many family members who came before us, from the many branches of our family trees. The histories will still be published as my Dad always wanted. But what he wanted most was to share the stories of the people who came before us - the places they lived, the cultures of the times, the families they created, and the circumstances - good and bad - that would one day lead to us, their descendants. These are the stories of my Mom's families. . . .

Surnames in this Blog

BRUNETT, DeGRUY, DeLERY, FLEMMING, FORTIER, FRISSE, HORST, HUBER, JACKSON, McCAFFREY, McCLUSKEY, O'DONNELL, WEINSCHENK



Saturday, November 12, 2011

FRIDAY'S FORGOTTEN - Military Veterans, Military Heroes

In honor of Veteran's Day, I wanted to remember many of our family members who enlisted or were drafted when America was at war, those who stepped up when called to serve our country. They took time out of their lives, years out of their lives, not knowing if they would be called to put their very lives on the line. Many survived their service; a few did not.

This is by no means a full list of our relatives who served our country, and I won't be listing those living veterans in this post. This is a just a chance to remember, and be proud.

Veterans of the Vietnam War
Harry Clinton Flemming III (1937-2003), born in Birmingham, Alabama; settled in Oceanside, California. Son of Harry Clinton Flemming, Jr. (1913-1972) and Catherine Frederica Perry (1913-1967). Retired as Staff Sergeant for the U.S. Marine Corps. Served three tours during the Vietnam War. Survived by wife, two sons, four grandchildren. [1st cousin, once removed]


Veterans of the Korean War
Austin Murray Cahill (1930-1989) of Birmingham, Alabama. Son-in-law of Elbert William "Bill" Barriger (1904-1979) and Pearl Alphonsine Flemming (1907-1986). Served as Private 1st Class in U.S. Marine Corps during Korean War, January 1951 to September 1952. Wounded in action on October 5, 1951. Survived by his wife. [husband of my 1st cousin, once removed]

George Benedict "Buddy" Daly, Jr. (1936-2002) of Harahan, Louisiana. Son of George Benedict Daly (1908-1967) and Odalie Felice Flemming (1911-1994). Served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. Survived by his wife, daughter and three grandchildren. [1st cousin, once removed]

William Arnold Powell, Jr. (1929-2009) of Birmingham, Alabama. Son-in-law of John Huber O'Donnell (1905-1964) and Susan Elizabeth "Susie" Flemming (1909-1999) and my father. Served as 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. Survived by his wife, son and three daughters, ten grandchildren and one great-grandchild. [my father]

John Joseph "Jack" Smith (1933-2001) of Metarie, Louisiana. Son-in-law of George Daly and Odalie Flemming. Served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War. Survived by two sons, two daughters and eight grandchildren. [husband of 1st cousin, once removed]

World War II Veterans
Charles Frederick Flemming (1916-2003), born in Birmingham; resided in Denver, Colorado. Son of Harry Clinton Flemming (1878-1955) and Pearl Alphonsine Horst (1884-1961). Served in the U.S. Army during WWII in Europe, from January 1943 to February 1946. Survived by his stepson. [my great uncle]

John Edward "Jack" Flemming (1918-2008) of Birmingham, Alabama. Son of Harry Flemming and Pearl Horst. Served during World War II in the Army Air Corps. Survived by his two sons and three grandchildren. [my great uncle]

Thomas Anthony "Tom" Flemming (1923-1999), born in Birmingham; resided in Pell City, Alabama. Son of Charles Clinton Flemming (1884-1935) and Katherine Aurelia "Kate" Lambert (1885-1935). Served with U.S. Army during World War II. Survived by two sons and two daughters, eight grandchildren and one great-grandson. [my 1st cousin, twice removed]

Omer Leo Horst, Jr. (1916-1985), resident of Birmingham. Son of Omer Leo Horst (1887-1945) and Annie L. Boggan (1887-1987). Served with U.S. Army during World War II from August 1941 to July 11, 1945. Participated in the D-Day Invasion in France. Survived by his wife and two children. [my 1st cousin, twice removed]

Robert Joseph Horst (1918-1987), born in Birmingham, resided in Chelsea, Alabama. Son of Omer and Annie Boggan Horst; brother of Omer Horst, Jr. Served in the U.S. Army as Captain, in the Pacific. He was unmarried. [my 1st cousin, twice removed]

Edward Eugene Walters (1918-2001), of Birmingham, Alabama. Son-in-law of Charles and Katherine Lambert Flemming. Served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Survived by his wife, eight children, and numerous grandchildren. [husband of my 1st cousin, twice removed]

Civil War Veterans
James Benjamin Flemming (1827-1907), born in South Carolina, resided in Rome, Georgia. Father of Charles Clinton Flemming (1854-1932), my great-great-grandfather. Served with Confederate Army.[my 3x-great-grandfather]

Thomas Joseph McCaffrey (1832-1896), born in Boston, Massachussetts, resided in Rome, Georgia. Father of Elizabeth Agnes "Lizzie" McCaffrey Flemming (1858-1922), my great-great-grandmother. Worked at Confederate ironworks in Selma and Tannehill. Captured at Battle of Selma 1865. [my 3x-great-grandfather]

Revolutionary War Veterans
Michel Fortier (1725-1785), of New Orleans, Louisiana. Father of my 5x-great-grandfather Jacques Omer Fortier (1759-1820). Served with New Orleans Militia. Captain in the campaigns of Bernardo de Galvez. [my 6x-great-grandfather]


To my uncles and great uncles, my cousins, my brother-in-law and my husband, and all the Veterans I'm proud to call my family - Thank You! God Bless You, and God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment