My Adventure Through Our Family Tree Branches

For over 50 years my Dad researched both his and my Mom's family tree branches - and loved every minute of it! Trying to fulfill the promise I made him the last month of his life, I have spent the past four years continuing where he left off - finding out about all the many family members who came before us, from the many branches of our family trees. The histories will still be published as my Dad always wanted. But what he wanted most was to share the stories of the people who came before us - the places they lived, the cultures of the times, the families they created, and the circumstances - good and bad - that would one day lead to us, their descendants. These are the stories of my Mom's families. . . .

Surnames in this Blog

BRUNETT, DeGRUY, DeLERY, FLEMMING, FORTIER, FRISSE, HORST, HUBER, JACKSON, McCAFFREY, McCLUSKEY, O'DONNELL, WEINSCHENK



Wednesday, July 13, 2011

WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY'S PHOTO - "Sarah, Lottie & Odalie - Three Little Sisters-in-Law"

 (left to right) Sarah and Lottie Flemming with sister-in-law Odalie Horst
Birmingham, Alabam  ca. 1904-06

Sarah Marie Flemming (b. December 17, 1893) and her older sister Charlotte "Lottie" Teresa (b. September 3, 1891) were the two youngest daughters of my great-great-grandparents Charles Clinton Flemming (1854-1932) and Elizabeth Agnes "Lizzie" McCaffrey (1858-1922). Their oldest brother Harry Clinton Flemming (1878-1955) was my great-Grandfather.

Odalie Felice Horst (b. January 20, 1896) was the youngest of five children born to my great-great-grandparents Charles Frederick Horst (1856-1912) and Odalie Felice Fortier (1857-1920). Her older sister Pearl Alphonsine Horst (1884-1961) was my great-Grandmother.

Harry Flemming (Sarah and Lottie's brother) and Pearl Horst (Odalie's sister) were married on April 18, 1906, at St. Paul's Cathedral in Birmingham. [Interestingly, this is the same day of the Great San Francisco Earthquake!] They had eight children, including my grandmother Susie Flemming O'Donnell.

Why these 3 little girls were together here, dressed all in white, I don't know. Could it have been the wedding day of their older siblings? Were they celebrating another important holiday, or was this typical dress for young ladies of the day?  (If anyone knows, please share the reason with me, please!)
NOTE: The baby doll in Lottie's hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment